Should you look through the window or into the mirror? Discover how taking ownership, building self-awareness, and focusing on what you can control can transform your leadership and personal development.


The Window or the Mirror? The Two Questions That Can Change Your Life

Imagine you make a mistake.

Something doesn't go to plan.

A goal isn't achieved.

A relationship becomes difficult.

A project falls behind.

At that moment, you have two choices.

You can look through the window.

Or you can look into the mirror.

Looking through the window means searching for something to blame.

Looking into the mirror means asking yourself:

"What could I have done differently?"

At PNC Plymouth, we believe this simple shift in thinking is one of the biggest differences between people who keep growing and people who stay exactly where they are.


The Window Is Easy

Looking through the window is natural.

It's easy to point towards:

  • Bad luck.
  • The economy.
  • Other people.
  • Poor timing.
  • Difficult circumstances.

Sometimes those things genuinely do play a part.

But there's a problem.

If everything is someone else's responsibility, then nothing is in your control.

And if nothing is in your control, nothing changes.


The Mirror Creates Growth

The mirror asks a different question.

Instead of asking:

"Whose fault is this?"

It asks:

"What can I learn?"

That doesn't mean blaming yourself for everything.

It means looking for the part you can improve.

Because that's the only part you truly control.


Self-Awareness Is a Superpower

Many people want confidence.

Others want leadership.

Some want greater success.

All of these begin with self-awareness.

The ability to honestly assess yourself is one of the most valuable skills you can develop.

Ask yourself:

  • How do I react under pressure?
  • How do I communicate?
  • What habits are helping me?
  • Which habits are holding me back?

Growth starts with honest answers.


The Best Leaders Use the Mirror First

One of the qualities that separates great leaders is accountability.

When something goes wrong, they don't immediately ask:

"Who made the mistake?"

They ask:

"What could I have done better?"

Did I communicate clearly?

Did I prepare properly?

Did I support my team enough?

Did I set the right example?

Leaders who ask these questions improve faster than those who simply assign blame.


You Can't Improve What You Won't Admit

Imagine trying to improve your fitness without ever stepping on a scale.

Or trying to save money without checking your bank balance.

Improvement starts with honesty.

If we pretend everything is fine, we remove the opportunity to grow.

The mirror isn't there to criticise you.

It's there to help you improve.


Responsibility Creates Opportunity

Many people think responsibility feels heavy.

In reality, it's freeing.

Why?

Because the moment you accept responsibility for your actions, you gain the power to change them.

You can't control the past.

You can control your next decision.

That's where growth begins.


The Mirror Doesn't Mean Perfection

Looking into the mirror doesn't mean expecting perfection.

Everyone makes mistakes.

Everyone has weaknesses.

Everyone has blind spots.

The goal isn't to be perfect.

The goal is to become a little better than yesterday.

Small improvements, repeated consistently, create remarkable results.


The Window and the Mirror in Everyday Life

Think about a few common situations.

You have a disagreement with someone.

Instead of asking:

"Why are they like that?"

Ask:

"Did I communicate as clearly as I could?"

You miss a goal.

Instead of asking:

"Why was I unlucky?"

Ask:

"How can I prepare better next time?"

These questions don't ignore reality.

They simply focus on the part you can influence.


Strong Teams Build a Mirror Culture

The strongest teams don't spend their time blaming each other.

They spend their time learning.

They ask:

  • What worked?
  • What didn't?
  • What can we improve next time?

This creates a culture of continuous improvement.

People feel safe to learn because the focus isn't blame.

It's growth.


Why This Matters at PNC Plymouth

At PNC Plymouth, personal development starts with ownership.

We encourage our team to:

  • Reflect honestly.
  • Learn from setbacks.
  • Ask better questions.
  • Take responsibility.
  • Keep improving.

Because the people who grow the fastest are rarely the people who make the fewest mistakes.

They're the people who learn the most from them.


Continue Learning With PNC Plymouth

If you enjoy articles on leadership, communication, and personal development, we'd love to stay connected.

Visit our website

๐ŸŒ PNC Plymouth Website

Follow us for more content

We regularly share practical ideas to help people become better communicators, stronger leaders, and more confident professionals.


Frequently Asked Questions

What does "the window or the mirror" mean?

It's a way of thinking about how we respond to setbacks. Looking through the window means blaming external factors. Looking in the mirror means asking what you can learn and improve.

Does taking responsibility mean blaming yourself?

No. It means focusing on the things you can control so you can continue growing.

Why is self-awareness important?

Self-awareness helps you recognise your strengths, identify areas to improve, and become a more effective leader and communicator.

How can I become more self-aware?

Reflect regularly, ask for honest feedback, and be willing to learn from both successes and setbacks.


Final Thoughts

The next time something doesn't go to plan, stop for a moment.

Before looking through the window…

Look in the mirror.

Not to criticise yourself.

Not to dwell on mistakes.

But to ask one simple question:

"What can I learn from this?"

Because every challenge contains a lesson.

Every setback offers an opportunity.

And every honest reflection brings you one step closer to becoming the person you want to be.

At PNC Plymouth, we believe growth doesn't begin when life gets easier.

It begins when we become honest enough to learn from every experience.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog